Calvary is located behind the parish of Ste-Marie-de-l'Assomption at 4172 HWY 34 in Green Valley.
1. Which is the most important of the Marian feasts?
a) February 11: Our Lady of Lourdes
b) August 15: The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
c) September 15: Our Lady of Sorrows
d) December 8: The Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
2. The Assumption of Mary has been celebrated throughout the universal Church since the:
a) 1st century
b) 4th century
c) 6th century
d) 18th century
3. Which of these is another name for this solemnity?
a) The Assumption of Mary Into Heaven
b) The Dormition of the Theotokos
c) The Falling Asleep of the Blessed Virgin Mary
d) All of these names can be used.
4. True of False, the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin (August 15th) is a Holy Day of Obligation?
1. (b) The most important Marian feast is the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary because it signifies the Blessed Virgin's passing into eternal life.
2. (c) The feast was originally celebrated in the East, beginning in the 4th century, By the 6th century it was also celebrated in the West.
3. (d) All of these names have been used throughout history to refer to the Assumption. Dormition means "the falling asleep.” Theotokos is Greek for Mother of God/God Bearer.
4. False. Although it is in some countries, in Canada, we only have 2 Holy Days of Obligation that are not transferred to Sunday’s Mass. They are Christmas and the Solemnity of the Mother of God on January 1. However, this is a very important day in the Church calendar and therefore we encourage you to go to Mass on August 15th. In fact, why not join Bishop Christian and the parishioners of Ste-Marie-de-l’Assomption for an outdoor bilingual mass at Calvary – rosary and Stations at 6, Mass at 7, cake and coffee following Mass.
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven at the end of her earthly life is a defined dogma of the Catholic Church. On November 1, 1950, Pope Pius XII, exercising papal infallibility, declared in Munificentissimus Deus that it is a dogma of the Church "that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory."
Visit these websites to learn more about the Church of the Dormition.
The Basilican of the Dormition
See the Holy Land
In the crypt of the Basilican of the Dormition under a rotunda, is a simple bier on which rests this life-size statue of Mary, fallen asleep in death.
The statue is made of cherry wood and ivory.